Monday, October 10, 2011

Derby, hiking, and piano

Jaden's last pinewood derby was a couple weeks ago. He wasn't very excited to build his car this year which meant a lot of arguing with him. He doesn't like building things, or so he kept telling me. In my opinion he just didn't want to do anything that didn't involve electronics. After much arguing with him we finished the car because Mom and Dad helped. No, we didn't build the whole car by ourselves. Jaden was there the whole time along with the complaining! After all the complaining, he had a good time at the actual race. It didn't hurt that he made it to the semi-finals. It is so hard to believe that this is the last race of his Cub scout years. So sad!

Last Saturday I was able to go on a hike with my Mia-Maids. We planned this hike almost 2 months ago for a few of the Mia-Maids that love hiking. Well, of course a huge low pressure brought snow, rain, and cold to Utah. We asked the few girls that decided to brave the weather if they still wanted to go and they said yes so off to the mountains we went. Honestly I was dreading the hike because I don't even have snow boots. Yes, I live in Utah and I don't have snow boots. I hibernate in the winter and don't go out unless I have to. Anyhow, the hike went really well and I didn't even get cold. Luckily there were people that hiked the trail before us and packed the snow down.



I'm so glad I was able to go on this hike because the very next day I was released from my calling. I got the call from the executive secretary Friday night to meet with the bishop. I knew they were changing the YW presidency on Sunday so I totally thought they were going to put me in the new presidency. Wrong! They released me instead and it totally blindsided me. I wasn't expecting a release. Sunday was hard because even though I've only been with these girls for 10 months, I've grown attached to them.

Sunday night Maelyn had her very first piano recital. She did so good considering she has only been playing for 1 1/2 months. She was kind of nervous even though she said she wasn't. I think she is going to be a great piano player some day. She loves music and dancing so hopefully her passion will grow with the piano.

2 comments:

shoenes said...

Congratulations on your pinewood derby, Jaden. Scouts is lots of fun, too!
Cute group of girls and great pictures! I think they would love those pictures. You looked like one of the girls! So sorry you got released when you were enjoying the calling.
Good job on the recital, Maelyn! Keep it up--you will really enjoy the piano the better you get and you are always needed!

Hoenes Family said...

Good thing you went on that hike and left your memory of being in the YW's a good one. What a bummer you were blindsided like that! Can't believe Maelyn had a piano recital already! Glad Jaden enjoyed his last pinewood derby!