Saturday, February 19, 2011

Who are these kids?

Have you ever looked at your child and wondered "Who is this kid?". Well recently I have with all of my kids. They are all growing up so fast and they are changing constantly and it is hard to keep up.

Jaden has found a new friend at school named Scott. They have played a couple times after school and both times the first thing they do when they get to my house is to do their homework together. I just think to myself "What kid does homework when they have a friend come over?". I don't think I ever did that as a kid. Maybe I did in high school or college but definitely not as a grade schooler. Jaden hasn't played a lot recently because there aren't a ton of boys around right where we live. I'm really hoping that Scott can be Jaden's new BFF. In fact I've seen notes in Jaden's backpack from Scott saying "We should be BFF's". (BFF=best friends forever) This kid is growing up way too fast for me. It is so hard for me to believe that he is 10 and only has 2 more years of elementary school. He used to be my little boy who loved to build robot suits out of cardboard and now all he wants to do is play the computer. He is a little too much like his dad in that department. We are really lucky to have such a good boy in our family. He is a great student at school and a great help at home.
Maelyn is finally getting to a little bit of a rebellious stage. She used to be this perfect little angel who would do anything I would ask. So when she is being a stinker I think to myself "Who is this child and what have you done with my sweet Mini-Moo?". Don't get me wrong, she is still super sweet to most people and she is still a sweet heart most times. I think the biggest thing is she is sick of being pushed around by her younger sister and I don't blame her. Again, she is growing up right before my eyes. She is going to be 8 in four months and will be baptized! Wasn't Jaden just baptized like yesterday? She is growing up to be such a cute girl who loves hugs and attention from her parents. If you ever need Maelyn to be happy and change her attitude all you have to do is give her a hug, kiss, and a compliment and she will do anything you ask. I wish it were that easy with the other two kids.
Claire is actually growing out of her Dennis the Menace stage. She no longer spills stuff on my floors or paints with white-out but instead she paints on paper and she cleans up her own spills. As I looked at the picture of her below I realized that my baby is totally gone. She looks so grown up now. She will be 4 in a couple months and is a totally different child now. Instead of getting into trouble all the time she is really good about playing with her toys all by herself. The days that Maelyn and Jaden go to school she will play by herself for about 3-4 hours. She has a GREAT imagination which helps her play. She will watch TV now which is amazing considering she hated it for so long. She isn't a couch potato though. Most of the time the TV is almost like background noise for her while she plays. Claire is loving school and loving being in Sunbeams at church. Every week as we pass the nursery class she tells me that she is a big girl now so she goes to sharing time. In fact Claire has accomplished something HUGE this week. She has kept her pull-up dry every night for a whole week. This has been a big struggle for us so we are very happy.
Last but not least, Oreo, the youngest in the family. Oreo is getting huge and I wish that she would stop growing along with the rest of the kids. Every three weeks Oreo has gained 2 pounds. She is now a whopping 8 pounds! She is doing great with potty training and only has an accident when we don't pay attention to the time and forget to take her out. Hopefully soon she will learn to "ask" to go out. That will be a wonderful day when that gets here. Oreo has been a great addition to the family and the kids love her. Even me and Corbin like her. Luckily we got a really good dog.
I know throughout my life I'm going to have many moments when I look at my kids and wonder "Who is this kid?" so hopefully I'll be able to record enough in this blog that I can go back in time and remember what the kids used to be like. I think it is a good reminder to enjoy every stage they are at because in an instant it will be over and they will be on to different things.

2 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

I can totally relate! When Brooke speaks to me in full sentences and Kenzi tells me at dinner "It's good Kals". I know they are not my babies anymore ;( Kenzi had the same problem staying dry at night, but now she is in underwear at night and has only had 1 accident in the last couple of months. I am glad things are geting better for Claire. All your kids are so adorable including Oreo ;)

shoenes said...

Great update on each child. They are growing up so fast. It is amazing how fast they grow and they'll be driving before you know it! Loved the pictures--as always.