Thursday, June 23, 2011

It's birthday party time!

The week after Maelyn's actual birthday, we had a very fun "spa" party for her. We invited 9 friends and all but one was able to come. The party took a lot of time to prepare but I wanted Maelyn to have a special birthday because of turning 8. I think I'm DONE with birthday parties for a while now!

The first thing we did with the girls was to make bath salts. They all picked their own color and scent and then they mixed the bath salts for their own creation. After the salts we also made soap from molds (sorry no pictures). I think the girls liked picking the color and the scent out the most. The soap was kind of hard because we had to heat the soap, mix the color and scent, and then pour it into the mold. I was really nervous because I didn't want the girls to get burned. Luckily we didn't have any mishaps mainly because I did a few girls at a time and didn't let them do the pouring of the soap into the molds.
After the "craft" portion of the party we played one game. We had the girls make an outfit out of tinfoil. I split the teams up and they had to create an outfit for one person. (I did not tell them to chose Maelyn and Claire for their models) Claire didn't like the feel of the tinfoil too much but that was because of the outfit she got put on her. Maelyn's team did a bit better in that respect. I thought it was fun to watch them with their creations.
After the tinfoil game it was time for some relaxation. Again we divided the girls in half and sent some to get facials while the other half got their nails painted. I recruited some of my Mia-maids to help with the nails. I honestly couldn't have done it without their help (and my wonderful hubby's help). For the facials, I found a recipe online for a cucumber mask. I thought it would turn out a lot different than it did. It wasn't quite what I wanted but we made it work and the girls thought it was ooey, gooey, and fun. The girls even talked Corbin into getting a facial done which they thought it was HILARIOUS. I wish I would have gotten a picture with Corbin's facial mask and cucumbers on but alas I was super busy running around and didn't get the chance.
After all the activities we did presents and cupcakes.
Picture of all the girls minus one that had to leave early (Haylee).
top (left to right): Addy, Adele, Iree, Sariah
Middle: Taylee, Maelyn
Bottom: Avery, Claire, Stella

It was a very fun filled day for all of us. Maelyn had a great time and hopefully she felt special because she is!

2 comments:

shoenes said...

Wow! What a special party she had--so many fun activities. You are a great party planner--I'm sure she and her friends all loved it. She will certainly remember her 8th birthday forever.

Hoenes Family said...

You are the bombmom.com. Pretty much you rock. What a lot of work! Looks like it was totally worth it though! So fun! Great idea to recruit YW for help!