Thursday, September 6, 2012

Our Adventures in Camping

Warning! Lots of pictures!!!

We have never taken our kids camping before so we thought it was about time that we did something about that.  The last time we attempted camping was when I was barely pregnant with Claire.  And I wouldn't even call it camping because we just slept in a tent in our neighborhood park.  That experience was a nightmare so it has taken me a long time to want to go again.  For a long time we had really young kids and I didn't want to go with babies.  Then on top of that, I am NOT a big camper.  I grew up camping in a trailer.  I think that is more my style.  Anyhow, it was time to get on the ball and get in the mountains!!!

We decided to go with good friends of ours, the Scaddens, to make it more fun.  We planned it kinda last minute so we weren't able to go to the campsite we wanted (they were all reserved).  We ended up going to Wasatch State Park.  It was a nice campground in the sense that there were bathrooms (a must for me) but there wasn't a lot of shade because we weren't in the canyon.  We were at the base of a canyon, kind of by Midway.

The first night was the most exciting for my kids.  They were so beyond themselves with excitement.  I should say that my girls were really excited.  Jaden has been on campouts with Scouts so he was cool, calm, and collected.  The Scadden's didn't get to camp until pretty late so we were on our own for the first campfire.  They loved the fire and especially the marshmallows.  We tried a new version of the s'more.  The idea came from Mallory.  Shortbread cookies with a marshmallow in between.  Yum!

Let me just say that sleeping in a tent stinks!!!  I did not sleep a wink and I even had an air mattress!  Between the crickets that are on steroids, the random babies crying from different campsites, my weak bladder, and other noises, I didn't sleep at all.  On top of all the outside noise, my own kids were noisy in there own way.  Jaden was grinding his teeth, Maelyn tosses and turns all night, and Claire sleep talks.  By the time morning came around I was regretting paying for two nights.  I wanted to go home!  I put on a smile though and went on.  We had a wonderful breakfast provided by the Scadden's and then we headed off for a hike.  The kids did great with the hike and so did the dogs (yes, we brought Oreo).
 

We hiked up to where there used to be a glacier.  There were tons of granite boulders.  The hardest part of the hike was going over these boulders.  What a workout!


Here are the two dogs trying to cool off after the hike
 
After the hike we were all roasting hot!  We had lunch and tried to cool off with a little shade (there wasn't much).  Well, it was just so hot that we couldn't cool off.  So we headed into Midway to find ice cream.  Even after the ice cream we were all still so hot.  Steph had a great idea of buying sponges and having a water fight.  It was the perfect solution!  Corbin took the lead and got a good water fight going.  The kids really loved this.  I just wish we would have thought of it sooner!
 

Saturday night we had more marshmallows.  Steph brought oversized marshmallows that each of the kids had a blast with.  Jaden had to show off his large mouth by shoving the whole thing in his mouth.

Maelyn and Addy loved getting messy

Claire loved getting messy as well!

The second night in the tent went a bit better.  There were still crickets, babies crying, and my kids noises but I was so exhausted that I slept better.  The bunched up jacket over my ears helped as well.  
The next morning we packed up pretty fast and headed out.  On the way out we stopped at the fishing pond and did a little fishing.  The girls had a blast and Jaden was grumpy because he wanted to go home.  We only lasted an hour and in that time only Maelyn got one bite.  We will have to go again because the girls had a blast.

Besides the lack of sleep and the heat, I would say that the camping experience was a success.  We will have to do this again next year!  Thanks for coming with us Jeff and Steph!

Munchkins from left to Right:
Jaden, Tyson, Boston, Addy, Maelyn, Claire, Jackson

2 comments:

shoenes said...

Looked like lots of fun! Great experiences that your children will remember forever. Loved all the pictures showing all the fun you had!

Hoenes Family said...

Hooray for camping! We are going to go in October during fall break. I however, have been enough times with my kiddos, to know that one night is just right for us :) Now that your kids are older, you should wear ear plugs. I bet you thought of that though when you were listening to the steroidal crickets :) Loves the first day of school pics and Bear Lake. I miss you guys ;(