Saturday, May 23, 2009

I love to see the temple

Exactly a year ago today the Oquirrh Mountain temple looked like this-

Now it looks like this-100% finished and very beautiful.

On Saturday we had the opportunity to take our kids to the temple open house. The public open house hasn't started yet but our stake was able to have a special day to see the temple before things get really crazy in our neighborhood. It was such a special experience to share with the kids. It was neat to teach them the importance of the temple and to tell them what is done in there. Claire was surprisingly calm as we walked through. I was so afraid she was going to break something. She liked the fact that we let her be a big girl and walk the whole way. Maelyn's reaction was really neat. She was amazed at all the different rooms. She was amazed to see the huge baptismal font, the bridal dressing room, and the huge murals in the endowment rooms. One of the best parts for me was when Maelyn leaned over to me and said "Mom, I feel the spirit." I forget sometimes that our children are so much closer to the spirit. I was very happy that she was able to feel the spirit and to recognize it. I'm sure it is something she will always remember. Jaden's reaction wasn't as animated as Maelyn's but he still thought it was cool. For those people who know Jaden well, he hates to show people that he is excited or happy. We could tell that he was having a good time. One of his favorite parts of the temple was the baptismal font. He was very excited that he gets to go do baptisms in 3 1/2 years. Both of the kids said that their favorite part of the temple was the mirrors in the sealing room. They got a kick out of seeing the reflections go on forever. It was really neat to have the whole family in a sealing room looking at our reflections going on forever. I'm so lucky to have my children and husband sealed to me forever. In a video we saw before we went into the temple, Jeffery R. Holland said that heaven wouldn't be heaven without being sealed to his wife forever. I especially felt that way today going through the temple with my precious family. It wouldn't be heaven without my family there. I am so blessed that they are sealed to me forever. This is an experience I will remember the rest of my life and I hope the kids remember it as well.



2 comments:

shoenes said...

I'm so glad the children are getting such great spiritual experiences while they are young. That is so important. Glad you were able to have that experience as a family. We are excited to go through the temple in June. It looks like a really pretty temple.

Hoenes Family said...

What NEAT experience. I loved reading about your kids reactions. I hope someday I will get to experience that with my kids. Especially while they are young, that is even better. That is so cool that Maelyn told you she felt the Spirit. I hope we can come visit you guys when we are there and maybe visit the temple. It really is beautiful. What a blessing to be so close to a temple.