Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The most expensive spice on earth

So, how many of you have heard of saffron? The only place I have heard of it was on the childrens movie Ratatouille. I don't have the fancy cooking channels on TV because we don't have cable. One day I watched Rachael Ray and she used saffron in a recipe. I decided to try the recipe since I'm always looking for a good recipe. When I went to the grocery store to get the ingredients for dinner I was SHOCKED at the price of saffron. Look at the amount of saffron that comes in a bottle and take a guess at how much it costs.
 

 

Have any ideas? Well, it cost me $10 for this tiny amount of spice. I almost decided to cook the recipe without it but decided to give this "miracle" spice a try. I'm still undecided if it is worth the money. The recipe turned out pretty good but I think it would have been good without it. I might have to try some other recipes with saffron to make the final decision. Apparently it is so expensive because it comes from the stigma of a crocus flower. Here is a picture of the flower.
 

For anyone who wants the recipe, here it is.

Yellow Chicken and Rice

INGREDIENTS (I cut this in half for my family)

1/2 teaspoon saffron threads (about 2 pinches)
4 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
3 tablespoons butter, divided
8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs or 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, cut in half
Salt and ground black pepper
1/3-1/2 cup broken spaghetti (a couple of handfuls)
1 cup long grain rice
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
1 bay leaf
1 pinch cinnamon
1 pinch of turmeric
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped

DIRECTIONS
Place a medium-size pot over medium heat with the saffron and chicken stock. Bring the up to a simmer and reserve warm.

Place a large, high-sided skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon, and 1 tablespoon butter. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and cook in the pan until golden brown, 4-5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken to a plate and reserve, covered with foil.

Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the pan. Add the pasta to the pan and cook until toasted and golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Add the rice to the pan, tossing to coat in the butter, along with the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are tender, about 5 minutes.

Add the bay leaf, cinnamon, turmeric, saffron-infused stock and reserved chicken to the pan. Bring the liquid up to a bubble, cover the pan, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Stir in the peas and parsley, remove and discard the bay leaf, and serve.

2 comments:

Roberta said...

Spices are soooo expensive! That's too bad that you didn't love the recipe.

Hoenes Family said...

Good night! 10 bucks! It better be jam packed with flavor! Sounds like a yummy recipe!