Friday, July 24, 2009

Our family vacation in Yellowstone

This is probably going to be one of my longest posts because of all the pictures I have taken. Sorry if it drags forever but I couldn't leave out some of the pictures. Last week my whole family went on vacation together to Island Park (right outside of Yellowstone). We rented a cabin together and had a blast. The cabin was super nice and actually had enough beds for everyone. I know those who don't have kids probably wished it had a bedroom for every family but that is extremely hard to find. It was a ton of fun being together. It has been about 5 years since we have done this so I was so excited to do it again. (And this time I wasn't the only one who had kids which made it so much better)

The first day up there Mallory (Brandon's wife) had a special time with the girls. She painted their nails and put a little make-up on them. In return they got to do the same to her. I have to say Maelyn and Taylee did a wonderful job on Mallory. The girls LOVED doing this and I think Mallory had a good time as well.

Alex and Claire helping Papa get the wood ready for the fire
Alex trying to blow the flames to get the fire going
Papa, Alex, Claire, Taylee, and Maelyn getting ready for Marshmallows.
Jaden loves the fire! Watch out!
The grandkids:
Alex, Parker, Claire
Jaden, Maelyn, Taylee
The second day up at the cabin we spent at Island Park Reservoir. Papa rented a boat and everyone had a blast tubing, waterskiing, and wakeboarding. Claire loved the tube and the boat even though the pictures don't look like she does. Jaden was on the boat the majority of the day. He loved the tube the best. He didn't get thrown off once (probably because he was in the middle of two adults every time). He loved to go as fast as Papa would go. He told me that "fast" was his middle name. Jaden even decided to try skiing and he did great. Joshua jumped in the water and helped Jaden and he got up. I had just gotten back from putting Claire down for a nap and luckily I was able to see Jaden get up on the skis. It was so exciting to see him go up but I didn't get any pictures....bummer! After the day of skiing I asked Jaden if he had a good time and he told me that it was the best day he has had in three years. I think he liked it!

Here are a few pictures of Corbin wakeboarding and Kaleb skiing. I tried wakeboarding for the first time but couldn't get up. I don't know if it was because of my arms being tired from being whipped around on the tube, the wakeboard being too big for my feet, or just not knowing when to stand up. I'll try again some day but I gave up and decided to go skiing. I did just great with the skis. Corbin is really good and stuff like this because of all his snowboarding and skateboarding as a teenager. My balance just isn't as good as his.
The kids enjoying the lake

The third day we spent inside of Yellowstone. It was the best day to go because it was FREE. It would have cost us $25 to get in there for one day which I think is a rip off. We only spent 5 hours in the park so I'm very happy that it was a free day. My kids weren't too fond of Yellowstone. Jaden just moaned and complained that he was bored and that he didn't like driving all that way and stopping for a second to get out and look at something. He is becoming a teenager already! Boo-hoo! That's why I don't have a ton of pictures of him on this vacation because he kept telling me that he didn't want to be in the picture.

A waterfall inside of Yellowstone
Old Faithful (I love this picture)
My two beautiful girls!
Claire loved being in the mountains and being able to get dirty

After lunch at Old Faithful, Papa and Grandma Z took the toddlers back to the cabin and so the rest of us could see a few more sights. We went to one of the hot springs. It was neat to see. Jaden and Maelyn were amazed at how hot the steam was coming off of the water. Maelyn would hold her breath when a big gust of steam would come by her. It was hilarious.
Look at the colors, aren't they beautiful!?


On the way out of Yellowstone we were able to see a buffalo. So cool!
The next day we went on an adventure. We were trying to find a place to feed some fish and ended up on a dirt road meant for a truck. The van hit bottom a few times so hopefully we won't be having problems later on. After getting back on a paved road we were able to see Mesa falls. It was a really pretty waterfall. I think the kids had a good time walking up and down all the stairs on the trail.




I love the time to be with my all my family. Maelyn thought it was super cool that she got to spend 4 days with Taylee. Taylee in fact was crying the night before we left because she didn' t want to go home. It is neat to see the kids forming friendships with their cousins. All the toddlers got along great for the most part. Claire loved having 2 boys to get into trouble with. :)
Jaden hung out with the adults a lot and still had a ton of fun. That's what happens when you are the oldest grandchild. Mostly he loved the fire and the boat. We all had a blast and can't wait for next year.
We all had a blast and can't wait for next year.

1 comment:

Hoenes Family said...

What a fun trip! That is so awesome Jaden go up on water skiis! We need to do something like this with the Hoenes family! Okay, the key to wakeboarding is to pull your knees into your chest. If you keep you legs straight, good luck getting up. Also keep your elbows by your sides. When you feel the boat pull, turn your board slightly and when you feel it pulling you up, move your arms out slowly and then straighten your legs! Okay, maybe that was confusing, but just in case you get a chance to try it again this summer I thought I would tell you what I do!